We’re hiring! Please see the list of open positions below.
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Compensation: $150K+ in total compensation including salary, bonus, health benefits, 401(k) plan with match, relocation assistance, and more
Location: Los Angeles
Education Required: PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
Quandary Peak Research is looking for smart and ambitious CS PhD candidates or grads to join our tight-knit team of elite software consultants. We provide CS expertise to companies and government agencies engaged in high-stakes lawsuits involving software. We help our clients understand complex web and cloud applications, smartphones, digital media, safety-critical embedded systems, and more.
As a member of our small and growing team, you will work with trial attorneys to analyze and explain technical evidence in lawsuits stemming from software patents, catastrophic software failures, theft of trade secrets, and other matters. This is a unique opportunity for CS PhDs with a background in image processing, computer graphics, databases, networks, mobile devices, Internet systems, information security, or digital audio and video.
New consultants are responsible for analyzing software systems and presenting clear, concise explanations of findings to senior team members and clients.
- Reverse engineer software applications and operating systems.
- Investigate the causes of software failures.
- Compare software designs for similarities and differences.
- Estimate the cost of software projects.
- Evaluate the quality of developed software.
- Assess the integrity of digital records and document metadata.
- Write descriptions of the structure and behavior of complex systems.
- Present technical findings to a non-technical audience and answer questions.
The only requirements (besides the PhD) are a deep understanding of core concepts in one or more subfields of CS and exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Any of the following are a bonus:
- Skills in Java, C++, C#, Python, PHP, Linux, MySQL, Android, iOS, or other platforms and languages.
- Research experience in academic or government labs.
- Industry experience as a programmer or software engineer.
- Strong record of publishing papers in journals and presenting at conferences.
- Willingness to travel frequently to New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, and other US cities.
- Be on the front lines of high-profile, high-stakes lawsuits between major multinational corporations.
- Collaborate with distinguished professors and tech industry leaders.
- Become an expert in a broad and diverse set of technologies and continually expand and strengthen your knowledge, skills, and credentials.
- Participate in a variety of different types of projects to keep things fun and interesting.
- Contribute meaningfully to determining the strategic direction of our company.
- Work in a casual office environment with flexible hours.
About Quandary Peak Research
Quandary Peak Research is a Los Angeles-based consulting group that provides computer and software expertise to companies, government agencies, inventors, and attorneys. Our client list includes companies like Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, Echostar, and Intellectual Ventures. We thrive on unraveling tough technical problems and being the smartest guys in the room.