Health IT Software Consultant
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Compensation: $145K – $175K in total compensation including salary, bonus, health benefits, 401(k) plan with match, relocation assistance, and more
Location: Nashville, TN
Education Required: 4-Year Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
Work Experience Required: Candidates must have 5+ experience as a senior software developer, software architect, or manager of software testing for software used in Health IT or medical devices (e.g., EHR software).
Quandary Peak Research is looking for a seasoned, smart, and ambitious CS or EE professional to join our tight-knit team of elite software consultants. We provide technical expertise and advise to companies and government agencies on complex regulatory and legal matters involving software. New consultants are responsible for analyzing Health IT software systems, primarily in the areas of software safety, reliability, and interoperability. Candidates will perform research in emerging software and technical standards in the Health IT space and apply that knowledge in consultation with private companies (EHR vendors, hospitals, medical device companies) and/or the federal government (HHS, ONC, the OIG). Candidates will also be trained in professional auditing practices and guidelines. Candidates may perform consulting and/or auditing services, either by themselves, or with other Quandary Peak team members, including:
- Investigate the causes of software failures or patient safety risks in software or its use
- Evaluate human factors and impacts of software use environments
- Evaluate risks in software architectures
- Evaluate SDLC and software risk management practices
- Evaluate compliance with industry standards such as quality management systems (such as ISO 13485, ISO 9001/9003), software quality standards and models (ISO 25010), risk management standards (such as ISO 14791) and similar
- Evaluate compliance with ONC-certifications and recommendations for EHR software
- Evaluate the quality of software in accordance with industry standards
- Investigate issues and conduct investigations and interviews
- Review data, including source code, ticket logs, test logs, etc.
- Write descriptions of the structure and behavior of complex systems
- Make recommendations for improving software safety, reliability, or maintainability based on industry best practices and a thorough understanding of external factors
- Present technical findings and actionable plans to a non-technical audience and answer questions
All candidates should have the following:
- 5+ years of work as a software engineer or software technical manager (e.g., head of Testing) with a Health IT or medical device company
- Professional experience in writing and managing software projects and managing quality standards in medical software
- A deep understanding of core concepts in one or more subfields of CS or EE (databases, UI/logic layer)
- 8+ years of experience in any of: Java, C++, C#, MUMPS, Python/Ruby, PHP, Linux, SQL, Android, iOS, or other similar platforms or languages.
- A thorough understanding of, and experience with, modern development practices (agile, scrum)
- In-depth knowledge of cloud-based software and traditional client-server architectures for Health IT systems
- Broad understanding of core Health IT frameworks (HIPAA, HL-7, Meaningful Use Certifications, Health Information Exchanges, Drug Knowledge Bases, etc.)
- Ability to perform compliance-driven technical audits and make insightful, well-formed recommendations for external organizations
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
any of the following are a plus:
- Work in other regulated industries (medical devices, transit, aviation, defense)
- A Ph.D. in CS or EE
- Research experience in academic or government labs
- Experience applying risk-management and compliance criteria
- Experience with software process development standards, quality management systems (such as ISO 13485, ISO 9001/9003), software quality standards and models (ISO 25010, IEEE, ISO 9003, ISO 14791)
- Experience with software security and IT security
- Strong record of publishing papers in journals and presenting at conferences
- Willingness to travel frequently to New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, and other US cities
- Assist Health IT companies, research institutes, and the federal government (HHS, ONC) in investigating software issues related to patient safety
- Help the public by improving the safety and quality of Health IT software
- Collaborate with distinguished professors, research institutes, and tech industry leaders to improve Health IT
- Become a leader and trusted source of insight in software standards for Health IT
- Continually expand and strengthen your knowledge, skills, and credentials
- Contribute meaningfully to the strategic direction of our small but growing company
- Work in a casual office environment with flexible hours – light (infrequent) travel to interesting places
About Quandary Peak Research
Quandary Peak Research was formed in 2012 and has quickly grown to a 12+ member consulting group that provides computer and software expertise to companies, government agencies, inventors, and attorneys, with offices in Los Angeles, Nashville, Silicon Valley and New York. Our client list includes companies like Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, GE, Echostar, and government agencies at the state and federal level. Our recent Health IT clients include major EHR vendors, community hospitals, the ONC, and the OIG.
We thrive on unraveling tough technical problems and applying the fundamentals of software engineering to compliance and legal challenges in a trusted, unbiased and professional manner.
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Compensation: $150K+ in total compensation including salary, bonus, health benefits, 401(k) plan with match, relocation assistance, and more
Location: Los Angeles
Education Required: PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
Quandary Peak Research is looking for smart and ambitious CS PhD candidates or grads to join our tight-knit team of elite software consultants. We provide CS expertise to companies and government agencies engaged in high-stakes lawsuits involving software. We help our clients understand complex web and cloud applications, smartphones, digital media, safety-critical embedded systems, and more.
As a member of our small and growing team, you will work with trial attorneys to analyze and explain technical evidence in lawsuits stemming from software patents, catastrophic software failures, theft of trade secrets, and other matters. This is a unique opportunity for CS PhDs with a background in image processing, computer graphics, databases, networks, mobile devices, Internet systems, information security, or digital audio and video.
New consultants are responsible for analyzing software systems and presenting clear, concise explanations of findings to senior team members and clients.
- Reverse engineer software applications and operating systems.
- Investigate the causes of software failures.
- Compare software designs for similarities and differences.
- Estimate the cost of software projects.
- Evaluate the quality of developed software.
- Assess the integrity of digital records and document metadata.
- Write descriptions of the structure and behavior of complex systems.
- Present technical findings to a non-technical audience and answer questions.
The only requirements (besides the PhD) are a deep understanding of core concepts in one or more subfields of CS and exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Any of the following are a bonus:
- Skills in Java, C++, C#, Python, PHP, Linux, MySQL, Android, iOS, or other platforms and languages.
- Research experience in academic or government labs.
- Industry experience as a programmer or software engineer.
- Strong record of publishing papers in journals and presenting at conferences.
- Willingness to travel frequently to New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, and other US cities.
- Be on the front lines of high-profile, high-stakes lawsuits between major multinational corporations.
- Collaborate with distinguished professors and tech industry leaders.
- Become an expert in a broad and diverse set of technologies and continually expand and strengthen your knowledge, skills, and credentials.
- Participate in a variety of different types of projects to keep things fun and interesting.
- Contribute meaningfully to determining the strategic direction of our company.
- Work in a casual office environment with flexible hours.
About Quandary Peak Research
Quandary Peak Research is a Los Angeles-based consulting group that provides computer and software expertise to companies, government agencies, inventors, and attorneys. Our client list includes companies like Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, Echostar, and Intellectual Ventures. We thrive on unraveling tough technical problems and being the smartest guys in the room.